Sunday, October 7, 2012

Omei Bak Mei Circling Hands

I ordered the 'Omei Bak Mei Circling Hands' video (download) from Warrior Body Buddha Mind (WBBM) last week.

Starting with the download itself - what a pain. But this is due to my location (middle of a landlocked, dusty/sandy country with limited bandwidth on the best of days). Sifu Christer was a great asset, being patient with my multiple attempts to get a complete download. I also downloaded the Ly Jik Bo applications video (review coming later).

As noted on their site, the audio quality in a few places was bad - but only in a few small areas. It was a minor distraction, and did not detract from the instructional quality.

I liked the format of the video. With a brief introduction to the circling hands 'training platform' - it was right into the meat of the instruction. I liked the way they took the form Yum Yeung Jik Bo Kuen from beginning to end and how to apply it from the circling hands practice.

The circling hands video compliments the  form video - both urging relaxation and use of body (rise/sink/contract/expand) movement and not just arm and shoulder. I also liked the emphasis on it being a developmental drill and not a competition.

If you haven't bought the Yum Yeung Jik Bo Kuen video - do so before getting the circling hands video. It will make understanding both so much easier.

I have had exposure to several methods of 'sensitivity' training - hubud-lubud, Chi Sao, etc. - and like the combatives application that the WBBM bring to the table (mirrors my own ideas/experiences). Rather than focus on a rigid structure of movement, they tend towards a quicker, more dynamic method of movement. Kinda hard to explain in words, but the would rather you get moving and experience the exercise than worry about doing it 'properly'. The other arts tend to take a little longer to get to the useful stages (in my opinion).

Drop a comment, let me know what you think. Tell your other martial arts training partners about my site - the more the merrier.



No comments: